Moving house can certainly be much less stressful if you think and plan a few weeks in advance. Here is a helpful checklist, helping you remember important things to help simplify your move:
2 Months before you move
- Go through your home and decide what you are planning to keep, sell, give away or trash. Stick to the 5 minute rule – if you cannot decide on using an item in 5 minutes, you will probably never use it again. Get some second hand boxes from Easy Storage Rockingham and fill them with things to give away.
- If you need tips on how to declutter, read our helpful blog here
- Plan what will go where in your new home, this will assist you when packing and labelling the boxes. The removal company (or your friends) will know in which room to unload your boxes and you will have less clutter to start off in the new house.
- Investigate companies to help you move, or if this is a DIY move – discuss your moving plans with close friends or relatives who will assist you with your move. This will enable them to plan ahead as well. Easy Storage Rockingham can recommend trustworthy removalists – contact us
- If your kids are changing schools – organise the transfer of records between the schools.
- If you are not able to move into your new place immediately, and may stay with relatives or something, talk to us about storing your belongings short term. Check out our range of self storage units with 24/7 access . You can easily book online – our storage unit prices are cheaper than you may think and the cost for long term storage is even cheaper.
- Our storage facility is easily reachable from anywhere in Perth and rights next door to suburbs like Kwinana, Mandurah and Baldivis.
6 Weeks before
- Slow down on grocery shopping and use as many of the perishable products you have (frozen foods, cleaning products, etc.). This will give you less to pack and eliminate worries about food spoiling during the move.
- Begin gathering boxes and other packing material. Easy Storage Rockingham has a wide range of new and second hand boxes available, plus all the packing supplies you will need. You can buy boxes online or come into our box shop. Tell our friendly, expert staff how they can help make your move easy.
- Now is the time to sell what you can, donate what you cannot and throw out the items you decided to trash.
4 Weeks before
- Book your moving company or reserve a moving truck. At Easy Storage Rockingham, all new storers may use our enclosed furniture trailer free of charge to move in – call us toll free on 1800 655 922 to find out more.
- Confirm your moving plans with whoever is helping you on the day.
- Start packing boxes for moving – there will be lots you are able to go without for a few weeks that can be packed from now till moving day.
- Label each box clearly – keeping in mind where it will go in the new house.
- Change your address and redirect your mail with Australia Post
3 Weeks before
- Cancel/transfer utilities (landline, internet, electricity, water, gas, etc.)
- Schedule time off work if required.
- Arrange child care for during the move.
- Arrange pet care for during the move. You can find helpful tips in our blogs on moving with a dog or moving with a cat
1 Week before
In the last few days before the move, double check all the details. You have done well in planning ahead – your move should go much smoother!