- It has been said that the day you buy a boat and the day you sell it are the two happiest days of your life…
- Whether this is true or not, somewhere in-between those 2 days, you will need to prepare your pricey investment for storage in the colder months.
- And unless you are blessed with a McMansion size garage or have incredibly tolerant neighbours (who won’t be bothered by a boat parked on your lawn all winter), we recommend you make use of self-storage.
- Self-storage is a quick, easy and affordable boat storage solution.
- Easy Storage Rockingham has put together some tips for you to prepare your boat for storage this winter.
Ten steps to successfully store your boat:
- Make one last trip on your boat before taking it out of the water. Use this opportunity to list everything that requires fixing to have it ready for next summer.
- Remove as much gear from your boat as possible and store separately.
- Ensure your boat is properly supported when out of the water, whether you use a trailer, jack stands, blocks or a custom cradle.
- Remove the drain plug immediately and give your boat a thorough scrubbing, not forgetting to clean the anchor.
- Clean the sails (if you have any) and have any repairs done before storage.
- Air out your boat and add some moisture absorbers to keep it dry.
- Have the engine(s) checked and serviced if required.
- Do not leave the fuel tank empty. Fill to ¾ capacity (to allow for expansion in spring) and add a fuel stabiliser (to reduce the possibility of condensation).
- Flush the head with plenty of fresh water and pump out your holding tank.
- Cover exhausts and other holes to keep unwanted critters coming onto your boat.
- Discuss your boat storage options with our friendly, experienced staff at Easy Storage Rockingham.
- Depending on your budget, there will be outside parking spaces, covered storage units or enclosed storage units which can be locked, to choose from.
- At Easy Storage Rockingham we offer good/better/best options to make the choice easier for you.
- We can also advise you on covering your boat for winter storage.
Now you have done all the hard work BEFORE putting your boat in storage for the winter. And when spring comes around, you will be the first one out enjoying the water, while many others will have to deal with not taking proper steps before winter!
Happy boating from the team at Easy Storage Rockingham!!