- Whether you’re moving, renting a storage unit, or just wanting more space in your home, decluttering your house is a positive way to feel more comfortable and calmer in your environment.
- Reorganising space and sorting through your belongings can make life a lot easier for you and your family in your house, by creating a clean living environment.
- Let us help you create more space today!
Don’t know where to start?
- Remember: you do not have to do it all in one go!
- And: you do not have to do it all by yourself! Ask your family or household members to help you.
- Or ask our helpful staff at Easy Storage Rockingham
- Create an easy list of what to get done and how to do it.
- Below we have provided a few easy steps to help you find the best possible way to declutter your home.
- Make your life easy with some good storage options.
What will you need?
- Boxes – At Easy Storage Rockingham we have the largest local box showroom where you can buy all the boxes you need for your declutter project.
- Buy boxes online from our website is even easier.
- Large garbage/carry bags – you can buy some from your local super market, or get sturdy, industry standard carry bags from our box shop.
- Permanent markers for labelling those boxes. Easy Storage Rockingham also stocks fragile stickers for your most vulnerable items.
- If you start with something small like a desk drawer or tallboy drawer, you will have a fast and impressive result
- This will give make you feel encouraged and ready for more.
- Take on one room at a time. When it is completely decluttered, you will be very motivated to tackle the next room!
- Set yourself a time limit – don’t over exert yourself in one particular room.
- Work on each room of the house for a certain period of time.
- Set reasonable goals for yourself, you should only empty out what you have time to put back in its place, or else you will create quite a mess.
Ask for help
- The task of decluttering will be made a lot easier if you enlist the help of your family and/or household members.
- Having others help you is a positive way to ensure you’re keeping the items you truly need
- You will more easily be able to throw out items that you’re attached to for no reason.
Decide what you NEED; not want:
- Getting rid of these unused, not needed items can at times be difficult, but it needs to be done.
- Grab a large rubbish bag, and with each item use the 5 second rule. If you cannot find a reason to keep it within 5 seconds, it can go.
- Have a box “to keep”, one “to donate” and one “to throw out”. Stick to these and leave items in the box you put it in.
Use the age-old ‘one in; one out’ rule:
- If you buy something new, throw out something old. This will prevent more clutter in the future!
- Once you’ve opened a drawer and started to clear out items and declutter a room, don’t repack the items back into another drawer!
- Sort it out and once you’ve decided what to do with it; either throw it out or put it in its place.
Read our other blogs for more helpful tips and tricks