Storage and organising
- Normally the idea of organising and de-cluttering to have more storage space sounds appealing to us all, but the actual doing of it may seem a bit overwhelming…
- Here at Easy Storage Rockingham, we have put together 10 easy tips – we put the easy back in easy storage – it can be done!
Storage space tips
5 minute tasks
- Yes, you only need 5 minutes a day! There are lots of 5 minute tasks which will give a huge boost to your decluttering and storage space.
- Start with re-arranging a bookshelf, or making plans for a bigger de-clutter project.
- Spending 5 minutes daily for a few consecutive days will amaze you at the progress you make!
- For 5 minute tasks, see this helpful website: http://zenhabits.net/18-five-minute-decluttering-tips-to-start-conquering-your-mess/ )
Give away one item each day
- You can try this for a week and make someone else happy with a gift.
- Meanwhile you are slowly de-cluttering and getting rid of things you may not really miss or do not even use.
Fill one box
- One box is a huge start and will make you feel like you are making progress and creating more storage space.
- Try filling one box each week on the day prior to bin day.
- When you run out of trash to fill a box, try filling one for goodwill – the results will be well worth it!
- And if you run out of boxes, you can buy boxes online or from our box shop!
- We even have second hand boxes in a variety of sizes!
The reverse hanger experiment
- Hang your clothes with the hangers in the reverse direction (the hard way to get it off the rail).
- When you wear something, turn the hanger the right way around (easy way to get off the rail).
- At the end of a few months, you will discover the items you never wear and can get rid of.
Only one room at a time
- Choose one room at a time and list what you wish to de-clutter.
- When you are done with one room – STOP.
- Try some of our other tips to go through this list before starting to make a new list for the next room. This will make the task a lot less overwhelming.
- If you need additional storage space, why not check out all our storage units? You will be pleasantly surprised how affordable it is, with 24/7 access to all your stuff!
- Call us today for a great deal!
Take the challenge
- See if you can find 5 items to donate, 5 items to throw away and 5 items to return to their proper spots.
- This can be a fun activity to do with the kids in the holidays as well. If your home needs much more de-cluttering, increase the list to be 10 items – which ever number you can fit into your schedule.
- You can donate sturdy second hand boxes to our fundraising for soul soup patrol – read our blog here
Change your perspective
- Try to see your home in a new light.
- Ask a friend to help you look at a specific room you wish to de-clutter but are unsure how.
- Put in some effort to see the potential after de-cluttering, not just the task ahead.
- And consider booking a secure storage unit online, to create more space in your home!
Challenge yourself to live with less
- Give yourself a month to get along with less than you have now, for example try limiting the number of outfits you wear to 7 a week.
- Or set a number of toys your kids need to play with for a week.
- If you can stick to this for a month or so, you may not need the additional toys, clothes, or whatever you decided on.
Use your imagination
- Try to imagine a room without something that is hard for you to get rid of.
- Ask yourself “If I was just buying this now, how much will I pay?”
- Creative techniques like this may prove very helpful if you find it hard to get rid of clutter and create more storage space in your home.
Try the 4 box method
- Set up a box for trash, give away, keep, or re-locate.
- Let the whole family join in to place each item from every room in one of these boxes.
- No item should be passed over. Some items will take minutes to categorise, others may take days or weeks. But stay at it – it really works!
- For more helpful advice on moving, storage and getting organised, please read more of our blogs