When you have made the decision to rent a storage unit, the first thing you need to think about is how you should pack and stack your belongings the best possible way.
At Easy Storage Rockingham we recommend that the best way to go about this is to plan and plan well. Our expert staff are here to help you to organise your unit in the most practical way possible, help you get organised and ensure you can easily access your goods while they are in storage. This will make your storage experience a simple one!
This blog serves to give you helpful tips when you plan your storage space.
Boxed goods in storage
- It is important to pack your belongings properly into boxes, ready for storage.
- Use quality, sturdy boxes in similar sizes to be able to stack them easily and safely. Visit our box shop or buy our industry standard boxes online for peace of mind.
Dishes and glassware in storage
- Pack your dishes, glassware and other fragile items carefully using your spare linen, towels, packing paper and bubble wrap to secure and protect it all
- Mark boxes containing fragile items clearly, to ensure you stack these on top. Otherwise they may get crushed underneath a heavy box filled with books or something similar.
Appliances in storage
- Fridges, freezers and all your white goods should all be thoroughly cleaned and dry before storage
- Leave the door on your fridge, freezer and dishwasher open slightly to avoid mould and bad smells while in your storage unit
- Don’t place items in your fridge during storage, that may go off or damage the lining
- Unused tea bags can be placed inside your appliances to absorb any remaining moisture while in storage
Furniture in storage
- Easy Storage Rockingham recommends that you remove all the legs from tables and chairs where possible, to save floor space
- Disassemble bed frames where possible
- Clean out your couches – don’t leave crumbs to attract unwanted insects or rodents
Other storage unit tips
- Place your large, heavy items at the back of the storage unit, freeing up space for your boxes and items that you may need to access more often at the front.
- If possible, create a walkway in between your goods. This will make for an easy point of access.
- At Easy Storage Rockingham we recommend that you number your boxes and have an inventory list with summary of contents of each box. This way you can plan how to pack your boxes so you can easily access specific items during the time you are renting your storage unit.
- After you have finished packing your items properly, you should inspect your storage unit and ensure everything is safely packed before you lock up and leave.
- On occasion, come down to your storage unit ate Easy Storage Rockingham and have a look through your unit, check that everything is in order and ensure your items are all still securely packed and stacked.